Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Puget Sound Cruise

I was fortunate enough to spend Sunday, August 10th out on the Puget Sound on a 42 foot boat belonging to a friend's work associate. We left from Salmon Bay on the Magnolia side, traveled through the Hiram Chittenden Locks across Puget Sound around the west side of Bainbridge Island then into Liberty Bay, where we docked in Poulsbo, Washington. This was the first time I have been on a private yacht (that I can recall at least), the first time I have been through the Locks on a boat, and my first time in Poulsbo. Quite a day for firsts!

The Locks are operated by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers. I discovered like many government operations - efficiency is not one of their primary duties. It took us about two hours each way to get through the Locks. Not that I'm complaining! Despite some ominous-looking clouds, the weather was beautiful, and we enjoyed a gorgeous sunset. There was hardly a breath of wind all day. I'll take calm waters over bright blue skies for cruising on the Sound.

I love water and water reflections - so there was a lot of photographic opportunity. I took tons of photos, here are some of my favorites:

NOAA research vessel Miller Freeman. We waited in the locks with this ship. Seems like NOAA is everywhere I go! I waved to the cranky-looking man on the bow. He waved back, totally unaware that I worked for NOAA for seven long years, maybe even edited his writing or research.
Poulsbo Marina. There were a bunch of harbor seals hanging out on the log booms.
Summertime and the livin's easy.
A three hour tour...
Railroad trestle from the opposite direction - heading back to the Locks.
Can you see the great blue heron? Some rude family on a Zodiak motored right up to it, then chased it as it flew away. While waiting for the Locks, we fed the seagulls Doritos and red vines. One of the boat passengers balked at us for feeding them unhealthy food. Considering seagulls eat garbage, I think chips are probably OK.
Here's a progression of sunset shots - you can see we waited for the Locks a while. But the sunset was beautiful! I love the color in the final photo.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading Seattle Swift!