Thursday, August 7, 2008

Neighborhood Night Out

I attended my first Neighborhood Night Out Block Party on Tuesday, August 5th! The Block Party was part of the National Night Out event, where communities host neighborhood parties to raise awareness about crime and anti-crime programs, as well as strengthen community interaction. Neighbors bring side dishes to share, drinks, and their own food to throw on the grill.

It was fun to see kids riding their bikes up an down the street and dogs lazily traveling from person to person searching for leftover grilled meat. I met a number of my neighbors, and I look forward to being able to wave, say hello, and chat with them in the future.

I also learned that two years ago, the alley behind my street was home to squatters who were dealing crack to their friends. This is quite disturbing, especially considering the quiet and friendly veneer of the neighborhood. Neighbors also talked of the numerous car thefts occurring in the area. Moral of the story: lock your doors, lock your car, be aware of your surroundings, and know your neighbors. I found myself a little more appreciative of our rowdy neighbors who like to party and drink Keystone Light till sunrise on the front porch. Not likely cars will be broken into when they are out there!

The Neighborhood Block Party was fun and I enjoyed the neighborhood camaraderie. I also got a chance to test a new salsa recipe before my family party on Saturday! It was delicious...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading Seattle Swift!