Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Exploring Second Life

As I mentioned in my previous post, another way NGCP will be expanding in Web 2.0 is by building an island in Second Life. I have spent some time during the past few weeks creating an avatar, shopping for clothes in Second Life, flying, and exploring the many resources and educational opportunities available in Second Life. The expanse of Second Life islands and place to "teleport" is, I admit, overwhelming. I needed a little help finding places to travel, things to do, and stores to shop for clothes. Apparently if you stay in your "newbie" clothes, other avatars will make snide remarks (a little like Real Life, I suppose)!

When I heard of Second Life for the first time a year or so ago, I was initially turned off. It seemed like another avenue for people to disconnect themselves from the real world. But as I explore SL, I realize there are significant educational opportunities as well as opportunities to meet people of diverse cultures and backgrounds. You can visit places in Second Life you might never be able to see in Real Life. Anyway, a basic membership is free, so I encourage you to try it out and spend a little time exploring.

Here is a snapshot of my Second Life avatar standing in the Texas Alamo gardens for the International Society for Technology in Education Conference in San Antonio. Below is a snapshot of my avatar flying in front of the Alamo!



I graduated from Santa Clara a year before construction on the new library and learning commons was completed. But I can visit it in Second Life - my avatar is flying in for a view of the new library.


Lounging in a bean bag chair in the new Santa Clara University library.


Also on the Santa Clara Island is the de Saisset Art Museum, where you can view current art exhibitions. The current exhibit is Experience Teaches: Santa Clara University Art Faculty Exhibition, which celebrates artistic achievement of SCU Art and Art History faculty. Here is a snapshot of photographs from David Pace.


Santa Clara's distinctive Mission Church is also on the SCU Second Life Island. Below is a snapshot of the altar and ceiling of the church. Within the Mission Church, you can read a note card about the history of the Santa Clara mission, which dates back to 1777.

Charles White, Director of Mission Santa Clara, writes in the note card: "The ornate ceiling above the marble altar is an exact replica of Davila's ceiling of 1825. Pictured in the center is 'IHS' which is the Greek anagram for the Name of Jesus. Above that image is a now forbidden depiction of the Holy Trinity as three look-alike, co-equal bearded men. At the four corners of the ceiling of four 'Doctors of the Catholic Church': i.e., St. Gregory, St. Ambrose, St. Augustine, and St. Jerome." All information that I didn't know while I was at Santa Clara!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading Seattle Swift!