Sunday, July 19, 2009

The Weird Gets Weirder

Last week I was flipping through a photo album my mom put together a few years ago after my grandmother passed away. It is far and away one of the best gifts I have received, with photos of my grandmother as a young twenty something newly transplanted to Seattle (Capital Hill area) through her celebrating my high school graduation with me.

I flipped through the album once and on another pass, did a classic "holy shit" double take. In one of the early photos, probably from the late 1940s, my young grandmother is standing in front of a house that not only looks close to exactly like the one I live in now but, by God, has the same house number. Shit you not. (Sorry for the profanity in this post, it's mostly necessary under the circumstances.)

So I took the album outside to compare the photo with my current residence. There are some slight differences: the wooden steps leading up to the porch are now cement stairs, the windows on either side of the front door has different glass details, the front door is different, and the house numbers are in a different location.

But there are significant similarities: the upstairs window details are the same, the door location the same (with an obviously updated front door), the brick apartment building behind the house the same, the siding and roofing the same, porch details the same, the upstairs drain pipe is in the same location, the tree to the right of the porch the same type of tree, and to top it off, I found holes drilled in the front pillar where house numbers used to be that matched the old photograph.

Could it possibly be that I am living in the same house my grandmother lived in 60 years ago? Some serious sleuthing is in order to solve this one... but I do very much hope I can get to the bottom of this. What a small world it is.

1 comment:

  1. A couple of photos need to be added. Scan the old photo and post a new one taken from the same perspective. Let us all see and decide.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading Seattle Swift!