Saturday, February 21, 2009

Cross Country Paradise

Over President's Day Weekend, I went to Sun Mountain Lodge in Eastern Washington with my family. As I have written previously, Sun Mountain is one of my favorite places. It is a cross country skiers playground and I always return home relaxed and rejuvenated.

Days at Sun Mountain consist of skiing the circuit of easy, medium, and expert trails around the lodge. Nights consist of reading, relaxing in the room's jetted tub, eating great food, and playing games. There is no television, Internet, and only spotty cell phone reception. It's the ultimate getaway.

Sun Mountain is in the Methow Valley (pronounced Mett-how) - known for it's dry weather and sunny days, making it perfect for cross country skiing. Some friends thing I'm weird that I enjoy XC skiing so much since it requires a lot of physical work for very little gain, unlike downhill which is all gain and hardly any work. But that's just what I love about it - you have to work for your reward and in the process you are exercising and getting winter wonderland views of the peaceful Methow Valley. It takes skill, endurance, stamina, and patience. And then when you do get to go down hill, you don't have to work hard - just step in the groomed tracks and propel yourself downhill.

I felt quite confident this ski trip - though I did fall once on the first night due to icy conditions and it being Friday the 13th and all. But I successfully skied some expert trails and reached a max speed of 20.6 miles per hour and skied over 30 miles (slow in comparison to downhill skiers I'm sure). On the final day of the trip, I tried snowshoeing for the first time as well. It was fun and also great exercise - not to mention I look super cool in my gators, snow shoes, and big bird ski jacket.

I was sad the trip was over so soon! And just one full day after returning, I was off to Portland for work. I'm back now and enjoying my first weekend at home for a few weeks.

1 comment:

  1. Just the right amount of snow, no wind and a nice moderate temperature. Perfect conditions for cross country skiing and snowshoeing.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading Seattle Swift!