Thursday, February 12, 2009

Checking In, Checking Out

Hello everyone. I'm checking in here on my New Years resolutions and other goings-on. The New Year started off a little slow and stressful with some car issues and a few tiffs along the way. But boy has the pace picked up and I feel pretty much on top of the world right now. I've been gallivanting around - traveling, doing Irish dance, taking a design class, and spending a lot of quality time with my fantastic friends and family (e.g., La Push). And I received some amazing news just a few days ago... but more about that later once I'm a little closer to a decision about my future endeavors.

I'm currently in the fourth week of an Elements of Design class at the School of Visual Concepts. I love it so far - much more than the drawing class I took. We are studying the fundamentals and theories behind design and do practice exercises each class that help us consider elements of design like balance, proportion, space, value, and contrast. I love how focused I get when working in class or on homework assignments - a focus that allows me to relax, be productive, and still let my mind swirl around with hundreds of non-stressful, random musings. I will consider scanning in some of my work and posting here in my blog.

This next weekend I will be off to cross-country skier paradise and playground in the Methow Valley of Eastern Washington. No TV, computers, and no cell phone reception. Which means blissful days of skiing in sunshine and cozy nights of reading, eating delicious food, and relaxing by the fire. Soon after I return I will be on my way to Portland for the Northwest Council for Computer Education Conference. I will have a little time to sight see in Portland - any recommendations? Powell's is definitely already on my list.

I haven't been quite as diligent about exercising and eating healthy as I would like - but I'm working on it. For those of you who manage to exercise regularly, how do you keep to a routine? For me, pub quiz on a Wednesday night or dinner with friends always seems to take precedent over exercise and I just don't know how to remedy that.

Anywho, no posts will be coming for at least a few days. When I return I am considering following suit with a blog I follow (My So-Called Life) and starting alphabet blogging. Stay tuned!

1 comment:

  1. Hey, thanks for the link!

    Since my schedule is CRAZY with work or school but I'm still trying to get in some exercise, here is something I've started that seems to be working. I joined a gym that is in the same building where I work. I try to go three times a week: Mondays and Fridays right after work before I head home, and then one additional day on my lunch break. Then I try to do at least something physical once over the weekend, even if it's just walking Green Lake with a friend.

    Have fun on your trip to Portland, I hear the Kell's down there is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading Seattle Swift!