Friday, October 17, 2008

Melted Chocolate Heaven

Last night I met friends for happy hour at Twist in Belltown. They have some great food specials, but it was hardly memorable after our next stop. After Twist, we migrated to the late night happy hour at The Melting Pot on Mercer in Lower Queen Anne.

This was my first experience with fondue. We shared the cheddar cheese fondue. The cheese was fantastic, warm and garlicky. They brought apples, veggies, and bread to dip in the melty ooey-gooey cheesy goodness (that sounds a little like a Taco Bell commercial, I apologize).

To follow-up the cheese fondue, we shared the pure milk chocolate dessert fondue. I will say, without hesitation, that this was the most amazing dessert I have had in my entire life. They brought out a plateful of pieces of brownie, pound cake, oreo-covered marshmallows, strawberries, bananas, cheesecake, and rice krispie treats. All to dip in the melted milk chocolate. Ahhh-may-zeeng. Whatever hippie thought up fondue must have a very prominent seat in heaven now. All three of us were giddy and giggly over the pleasure of our chocolate fondue.

I definitely want to make it back to the Melting Pot as soon as possible. And we vowed to start hosting our very own fondue parties. I also really enjoyed savoring each piece of food individually, instead of wolfing down a plate of pasta, or whatever I would have for dinner. Thinking about each piece and savoring it seems to be a better approach to eating than simply snarfing down whatever is available.

So if you have some time and love chocolate - try out The Melting Pot. Great for a girls night. And, Galen, we are so going when you are in Seattle!!!! Or making our own.

2 comments:

  1. mmmm, fondue = best thing in life. i love the melting pot. we had the best fondue in switzerland (where i believe it originated...although when i read your post, i just imagined hippies spraying melted chocolate all over the place)

    let's go! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I am THRILLED that you discovered "The Pot." It's been one of my favorite places ever since I moved to Seattle. When I first lived in Queen Anne it was right down the hill from my apartment, so I literally went there several times a week to sit in the bar for happy hour and chat it up with the bartenders, who are super nice. Had quite a few friends who worked there at one point, too. Try the Brie Plate next time, it is amazing. Yum yum. The only problem is what I call the "fondue funk" - it's the smell of the restaurant permeated into your clothes and hair, which you then smell like for the rest of the night. But it's oh-so-worth-it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading Seattle Swift!