Sunday, April 12, 2009

Wallace Falls Hike

On Saturday morning, I woke up reasonably early to hike Wallace Falls in Gold Bar, Washington, on Highway 2. It was raining lightly as I drove out the trail head, but I was prepared with my hat, rain coat, and waterproof boots and happy the rain meant the trail wouldn't be crowded.

I hiked about five miles round trip, seeing lower, middle, and upper Wallace Falls. There is about 1,300-feet of elevation gain to the upper falls, so the hike is not terribly strenuous. But I will say that when the trail goes up, it is steep. This also means there are nice flat spots to catch your breath though as well.
The hike was great, with views almost the entire way. Hiking by myself, I set a fast pace and ran back down the trail to keep my heart rate up. Wallace Falls drops 265-feet within the state park, a height comparable to Snoqualmie Falls. It was very impressive to see and I really enjoyed the hike. The rain gave a very Northwesty feel to the hike as well. Wallace Falls is definitely a must-see for all you locals!

3 comments:

  1. Ha! The "falling can be deadly" sign cracks me up!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm glad sheldon makes you think of me.

    i love him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful pictures!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading Seattle Swift!