Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Happy Winter Solstice!

I know, I know, I'm a few days late. I blame the snow.

Winter solstice is a special time for a lot of reasons. First of all, it means Christmas and New Years are just around the corner - so lots of time spent with loved ones. Second of all, both solstices are exciting for different reasons. Summer solstice means the following two or three months will be filled with sunshine, warmth, long days, and glorious summertime activities. But it also means the days start getting shorter. Winter solstice, on the other hand, means many more months of cold, rain, short days, and even some snow (like now). BUT the days start getting longer - each day the sun rises a little earlier and sets a little later and we get one day closer to those warm summer nights. Now I just need to keep myself occupied in some way until then...

And FINALLY, winter solstice means that my blog is now just over six months old! Happy half birthday, Seattle Swift! Six months ago, I wished readers a Happy Summer Solstice, and here I am, six months later: a little older, a little wiser, a little less diligent about posting in my blog, but nonetheless still posting!

For the past week, the entire U.S. has been pummeled by nasty winter weather - Seattle included. Since last Wednesday night, we have been snow-bound and temperatures have remained mostly below freezing. Thursday brought an entire day of snow, Saturday brought blowing snow and freezing rain, and Sunday brought another four inches on top of that. And the snow is still sticking around, ruining or delaying holiday travel plans for many. Above is a photo from Sunday morning, before another four inches of snow arrived. You can see the snow drift piled up on one side of the steps.

Anyway, I hope all of you are staying warm and safe. Now, if Seattle will just get on the ball and start de-icing those roads with something other than sand - we would be golden. See the Seattle Times article here.

Happy Holidays to all of you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading Seattle Swift!