Monday, March 23, 2009

Hiking Mount Si

Mount Si is the most-hiked trail in Washington State. Over 80,000 people per year hike the 3,400 feet to the top of the mountain. Needless to say, many consider it a sort of right of passage for Washington hikers. Just outside of North Bend, Washington, it is a short drive from downtown Seattle and Bellevue.

This past Saturday was my first experience hiking Mount Si. Two friends were visiting from out of town so we along with a coworker and friend took our chances on the partly sunny day to get outside and climb a mountain.
I've been on a fair number of hikes, but I will say that Mount Si is steep. It's up, up, up the entire four miles to the top (except for maybe 100 yards). But as such, it is an incredible workout. Needless to say, two days later - I'm still sore. About two miles in to the hike, we discovered snow still packed on the trail. With three of the group in tennis shoes, we waffled a bit about turning back or continuing to the top.
Luckily, we decided to press on and after a little slipping and sliding, we made it to the top for a view of the Cascades, Mount Rainier, the Olympics, Puget Sound, and downtown Seattle and Bellevue. I was happy I brought my binoculars. We sat for a quick lunch, but it was pretty chilly and snowing lightly so we didn't linger long.
Though we had been nervous about coming back down on the snow (most hikers we encountered on the way up were wearing crampons and using hiking poles), the way down turned out to be the best part of the hike. We set off gliding down the snow in a sort of mesh between sledding and cross country skiing. We made excellent time. Minus a few icy spots - it was a blast coming down the mountain.
As we drove away from the Mount Si parking lot, looking back at the mountain we realized how impressive it was that we just climbed an entire mountain. As I visited with friends later that evening, I made sure to tell them I climbed a mountain today! Hiking Mount Si was a great way to spend a Saturday in March. Hopefully next up within a few weeks: Wallace Falls.

2 comments:

  1. I am a horrible hiker, but I do love it... if you ever do an easy one can I tag along? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mount Si is like the Space Needle. Visitors get taken there, but rarely do you go there on your own. Too many very nice places to choose.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading Seattle Swift!